- Elevation: 2,543 m (8,343 ft)
- Prominence: 1,273 m
- Ribu category: Tinggi Sedang
- Province: Jambi
- Google Earth: kml
- Other names: none
Gunung Raya lies above the large Kerinci lake in Jambi province – a considerable distance from Gunung Kerinci but visible from the higher slopes of Gunung Kerinci. The road around the western side of Kerinci lake offers good views of the secondary peak Bukit Bemban (2,100m) before a glance back from your vehicle as it passes rivers and rice paddies will afford excellent views of Gunung Raya itself hiding behind. Some maps mistakenly name this mountain Gn Kerongsong. Another mountain in the area which is climbed is Bukit Kunyit which is about 2115m high and close to the beautiful translucent blue lake of Danau Kaco.
- Getting there: There are regular flights to Padang’s International airport from Indonesia and neighbouring countries. It is then a long 6-8 hours drive to the starting point. There is public transport and ‘travel cars’ for which you share a car with others but it will take you most of a day to reach Sunggai Penuh. Alternatively, fly direct to Kerinci Airport in a turboprop from Jambi – 10kg baggage limit and one flight per day in 2019.
- Accommodation: There are several places to stay in Sunggai Penuh and Kersik Tua.
- Permits: Unknown
- Water sources: Unknown
- Travel insurance: We recommend World Nomads insurance, which is designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities including mountain hiking.
Local Average Monthly Rainfall (mm):
Origins and Meaning
‘Great’, ‘big’ or ‘large’ mountain in Indonesian.