- Elevation: 1,030 m (3,379 ft)
- Prominence: 351 m
- Ribu category: Spesial
- Province: Nusa Tenggara Timur
- Google Earth: kml
- Other names: none
- Eruptions: Underwater flank vent Gunung Hobal 1870, 1910, 1928, 1948-52, 1973-74, 1983, 1993, 1999, 2013
Constructed on the southern rim of the Lerek caldera, Iliwerung forms a prominent south-facing peninsula on Lembata (formerly Lomblen) Island. Craters and lava domes have formed along N-S and NW-SE lines on the complex volcano; during historical time vents from the summit to the submarine SE flank have been active. The Iliwerung summit lava dome was formed during an eruption in 1870. In 1948 Iligripe lava dome grew on the eastern flank at 120 m altitude. Beginning in 1973-74, when three ephemeral islands were formed, submarine eruptions began on the lower SE flank at a vent named Hobal; several other eruptions took place from this vent before the end of the century (Smithsonian). The last major eruption was in 1999.
Nominated as a Spesial by Chris Whiting.
- Getting there: Boat from Larantuka, Flores.
- Accommodation: Several hotels in Lewoleba.
- Permits: None required but take a photocopy of your passport photo page just incase.
- Water sources: None available – take sufficient supplies with you.
- Travel insurance: We recommend World Nomads insurance, which is designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities including mountain hiking.
Local Average Monthly Rainfall (mm):