- Elevation: 824 m (2,703 ft)
- Prominence: 824 m
- Ribu category: Spesial
- Province: Nusa Tenggara Timur
- Google Earth: kml
- Other names: none
Gunung Ara is the highest point on Komodo island. It takes just over 2 hours to reach the top from the Ranger station at Loh Liang, so allow 5 hours for a return journey. There is evidence to suggest that the original people of Komodo island lived on Gunung Ara. An official guide is mandatory. It is important to set out as early as possible because there is little shade on Komodo and this is one of Indonesia’s hottest and driest places.
Note that the more commonly hiked Gunung Satalibo is, at 735m, Komodo’s second-highest peak but lies a good 6 kilometres to the north-east of Gunung Ara.
Komodo island – famously home to the Komodo dragon – lies between the larger islands of Sumbawa and Flores (which are both served by flights from Bali’s Denpasar) and can be reached by boat or ferry. Many travel agents offer tours to the island.
- Getting there: There are plenty of tour operators in Labuanbajo where there is also an airport with many flights to Denpasar. It can be expensive to join a trip to the island with others who may not wish to climb the mountain too. If possible, go with a group of friends who also want to reach the top.
- Accommodation: There are plenty of hotels in Labuanbajo to suit all budgets. Chez Felix is a reasonable budget choice. If you are visiting Komodo as poart of a multi-day trip, you will probably sleep onboard your boat.
- Permits: Komodo National Park permits for foreigners cost Rp150,000 per weekday or Rp225,000 per national holiday or weekend day. There is talk of this increasing significantly in 2019. Trekking fee is Rp65,000 per person plus Rp80,000 for one guide per 4 hikers.
- Water sources: Unknown. Assume none on the trail.
- Travel insurance: We recommend World Nomads insurance, which is designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities including mountain hiking.
Local Average Monthly Rainfall (mm):